Friday, March 27, 2009

In the Motherhood

Last night was the much-anticipated (by me, at least) premier of In the Motherhood.




Starring Cheryl Hines from one of the best shows ever made Curb Your Enthusiasm, Megan Mullaly from Will and Grace (I wasn't a regular viewer, but the episodes I saw, she was hilarious) and that chick from Best Week Ever. It also had Horatio Sanz, who has lost a bunch of weight and looks great.

I got the impression from the commercials that this would be about funny stuff from the lives of moms, not how desperate these woman are to avoid their kids. It wasn't even funny depictions of mom stereotypes, it was damn-near offensive.

In one scene, we find Cheryl Hines expressing concern over an upcoming date waving her hand over her nether region saying "No one has seen this in a very long time." The woman has an infant. Someone's been there recently.

Maybe it's because I'm a mom now, but nothing about this show appealed to me. I get it. Moms are boring. Being a mom is boring. According to this review in the LA Times,

"Parenting often boils down to a series of repetitive tasks and maddening dialogue, much of which has to do with such fascinating topics as bedtime, personal hygiene, sibling-on-sibling violence and the nutritional value of Cheetos."

I have to disagree. Have they never watched Wife Swap? Real families are far from boring. It's the formulaic TV family that's tired and predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment